Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Broccodile

Here's a fun project that I did over Christmas vacation...a baby blanket for my 1-year-old nephew Brock, also know as "Brockoli" and "Brockodile". First, I made a montage using images from the internet, then printed it out in pieces...

Then I sewed several layers of jersey fabric over quilt batting and pinned the printouts to it, sewing over them to create broccoli and crocodile shapes. Then I tore away the paper, leaving the shapes stitched in thread.

The cats love to sit on anything I'm working on, especially something soft and cat-sized, like a baby blanket :)

Then I cut away layers of fabric to reveal different colored parts of the pattern.

And lastly, I throw it in the washer and the dryer to get the edges to shrink and tighten into a cohesive-looking whole. Here are pictures of both sides of the finished blanket, different due to cutting away fabric in different areas:

1 comment:

  1. Wow Suzie this is an amazing blanket. And humorous as well. You're so talented!
    Love Anna